Saturday, November 15, 2014

Ink wash with Smoke



This was inspired by traditional Japanese ink paintings. I have studied Japanese in high school and learned about their culture even getting the chance to do some calligraphy. When I first add the smoke to the board it looked like mountains and reminded me of the traditional ink painting and I decided to go on that road for my piece. I had never ink washed before so it was an experiment and learning experience for me. The reason for the painting is for personal reasons, experimenting with a new technique and trying to learn the style. I wanted to keep the painting monochromatic so the absence of color is important. Line was very important in Japanese ink curves are used a lot and placement of lines is important. Balance was another of my concerns I didn't want any area feeling too white or dark. I tried to use proportion on the trees and building but i don't think it work as well as it could of. Overall though I am happy with the piece and it is one of my favorites of the year.   

No comments:

Post a Comment